PATRICIAN LOCATIONS

Papua New Guinea

In 1968 the Australian Province moved into another stage of its history with the Brothers becoming involved with education in Papua New Guinea. As in the Australian story, this branch resulted from an invitation of a Bishop: Ignatius Doggett. He was the bishop of the Diocese of Aitape in the West Sepik Province and had been a student of the Patricians at Holy Cross College, Ryde.

Bishop Doggett invited the Brothers to take over the administration of the newly established secondary school in his diocese. In fact it was the first secondary school in the whole of the West Sepik Province. At first only two Brothers were appointed to PNG. Brother Charles Barry became the principal of St Ignatius High School in Aitape. Ten years later in 1978, Brother Charles was asked to carve a school out of the jungles of the Nuku district on the other side of the Torricelli mountain range. The transformation was miraculous as he and Brother Michael Vella worked with the local people to create a very fine school and campus.

Since 1968 twenty-five Australian, Irish, and Indian Patrician Brothers have made very significant contributions to education in Papua New Guinea as classroom teachers, school administrators and in the fields of teacher training and curriculum development.

In 1987 the Brothers accepted the first group of Papua New Guineans for training and formation as Patrician Brothers. Brothers Michael Vella and Phillip Turner took on the daunting task of religious formation in a foreign culture. The formation centre was established first at the Nuku school and then expanded to Laingim. Eventually Brother Phillip developed a site in Aitape itself as the centre of Patrician Formation.

Other ministries in PNG have diversified. Depending on personal capacities and training, Patricians have been involved in school-based and correspondence education; teacher training; healthcare; HIV/AIDS awareness, testing & counselling; brick and tank manufacturing and partnership with Callan Services for the disabled in Wewak. In 2017 three PNG-born Brothers are ministering in Aitupe. All have ‘Hearts on Fire’ for realising the vision of Daniel Delany for a more just and equitable society.

Present Patrician Locations in Papua New Guinea

1. Aitape (Formation)
2. Laingim
3. Wewak
4. Madang
The combined population of the Sandaun and East Sepik provinces is 528900; combined area is 78600 square kilometres. The distance from Wewak (3) to Aitape (1) is 120 kilometres.
png map

Communities

1808 Tullow
1810 Mountrath
1823 Clarenbridge
1823 Castlecomer
1827 Galway
1873 Fethard
1879 Mallow
1902 Carrickmacross
1902 Carrickmacross
1930 Ballyfin
1933 Abbeyleix
1938 Newbridge
1958 Ballon
1967 Finglas
1980 Castleknock

BROTHERS OF SPECIAL NOTE

Play Video
Play Video
Play Video
Play Video

CONTACT

Patrician Brothers
Bishop’s Hill
P.O. Box 179
Aitape
Sandaun Province 553
Papua New Guinea

1963 Iten - 2010 Eldoret school - Building at Kabongo - Bishop Delany Memorial School
Nuku 1979 – RE Teaching – Bishops Hill 1996 – Br Tony O’Connor R.I.P. – Formation community at Bishop’s Hill
Nuku 1983 – Formation house at Bishop’s Hill – Laingim house – Brothers in the mood for a song